This week’s list:
Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT pick up a book
Ordinarily I would link to examples or put book covers up of books I’m not interested in, but I feel that’s straying into negative territory and also I don’t feel like it.
- Rapey douche stalky love interest
- Slut shaming
- Victim blaming
- Rape as titillation
- I don’t mean to sound rude to adult books but I’m much less likely to pick it up if it’s about some middle aged woman recently divorced off to find herself.
- If the blurb only talks about romance.
- If the title is unpronounceable
- If the cover is badly photo shopped
- Generally – if the lead character is male. THIS IS NOT TO SAY that I do NOT read books with male leads, because I do. Occasionally. But I am more interested in a book if it’s about a female. Men have dominated the market with their stories for so long that I simply lack an interest in reading about male leads. Most of the time I can’t identify nor sympathise with them. It has to be a pretty good sounding book for me to want to read it. Sometimes if you give me the exact same book but with a female lead I’d read it. This is why I liked young adult literature, because it is flooded with female leads.