This week’s list:
Top Ten Favourite Books With A Fantasy World Setting
It’s hard for me to really define the setting of these kind of books. They’re in the high fantasy genre, but they are not necessarily medieval. They all have the same high fantasy feel and atmosphere to me. Some of them have guns but not telephones, and some have telephones but not guns. They are all not Earth settings, but none are sci-fi. None are set in the future, nor specifically the past, but in a world that is not as technologically advanced as our own. However, they may have alternate technologies – mostly due to the use of magic.
The most important thing about this list is that it is not your traditional Tolkien or George RR Martin kind of fantasy. Also, each and every one has a female lead except for The Initiate. Don’t let that cover fool you.
1. Poison Study by Maria V Snyder
2. Ash by Malinda Lo
3. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
4. Touch of Power by Maria V Snyder
5. Sabriel by Garth Nix
6. The False Princess by Eilis O’Neal
7. The Aware by Glenda Larke
8. The Initiate by Louise Cooper
9. Daughter of Storms by Louise Cooper
10. Spirit Fox by Mickey Zucker Reichert and Jennifer Wingert