- Some people have a rule about stopping at the end of a chapter. I don’t. I’ll stop reading whenever. The end of a chapter. The end of a paragraph. The middle of a sentence. My one rule about finishing at the end of a chapter is when I’m reading something dense. It was my university lecturer who suggested it, when I read Jane Eyre. After every chapter I put the book down and thought about what had just happened and reflected on it. It really helped in the understanding and retention of the book.
- I use bookmarks. When I was a child I used to simply remember the page number of the book but as I’ve grown older I’ve found myself unable to do this anymore. I have lots of nice bookmarks waiting to be used on my bookshelf but often when I’m looking for a bookmark, I’ll just use whatever’s closest like a scrap of paper or an envelope or my cat. I don’t like using wood or metal, or anything that can damage the pages.
- Speaking of damage, I always take the dust jacket off and put it somewhere safe until I’ve read the book. I find they tend to get damaged easily if I leave them on while reading.
- Speaking of damage, I generally don’t buy second hand books. I think this largely has to do with me being particularly sensitive to other people’s emotions, and the residue or whatever you want to call it of a previous owner tends to linger in such objects. I will however buy book second hand if it’s out of print. But that book never really feels like it’s ‘mine’.
- I love to re-read, but as a blogger I can’t really afford the time to re-read. As a child I had a very small amount of books so I reread them constantly. The first chapter book I ever finished was Black Beauty when I was about six or seven and I turned straight back to the first page and started to read it again.
- I don’t keep duplicates except for ebook/physical.
- I always check the bargain bin for hidden gems.
- I read ARCs on my Kindle, ebooks on my iPad, and keep a physical book for reading around the house. Sometimes I listen to an audiobook at work so I can have 4 on the go at the same time.
- When I’m buying books to complete a series I like to a) have the covers match or b) buy the cheapest version possible.
- I need to have my phone with me when I read in case I want to update Goodreads.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Join 1,836 other subscribers