After my struggle with reading last year, where I read only 12 books for the entire year, due to extreme personal circumstances which have somewhat been resolved, I have rediscovered the joy of my local library.
I don’t mean love for the actual building because ugh, people. I still love my physical library, it’s the greatest! It’s clean and airy and bright and interesting, and the volunteer staff are lovely, and it has a good selection of books.
I mean I have been using Overdrive linked to my local library to listen to audiobooks and read ebook.
I have fallen in love all over again with borrowing, and I’m here to tell you why it’s so great.
- I don’t have to leave the house, which is great, because I work weekdays and often can’t make it to my local library of a Saturday morning. Also, people, ugh, people suck and I hate them. I love not having to leave my house and still getting my hands on books I’ve been dying to read.
- They often get upcoming and recent releases, and if you’re sharp, you can put these on hold and download them right upon release. No waiting for me!
- Not everyone who loves to read has a compatible ereader, so there’s less competition/wait times for popular/recently published ebooks! Seriously some super hyped books are available in my library and no one wants to read them. They are all mine! (Temporarily.)
- Audiobooks! Seriously, audiobooks are the greatest. I listen to them in the bathroom as I am getting ready for work, and I listen to them on my commute. And sometimes even at work. Audiobooks are the best! It’s reading without having to dedicate time to holding a book.
- I can carry 5 ebooks and audiobooks on Overdrive on my phone, which takes up a lot less space and weight than 5 physical books. (I can carry way more with my Kindle app but this is about my library books, not just all ebooks.)
- Sometimes the library has books in ebook/audiobook that they don’t have in physical copies. Newsflash! Ebooks are cheaper than paperbacks!
- Sometimes I miss out on an ARC, but my library gets an ebook copy, so I get to read it anyway!
Those are the non-exhausted list of reason I love my library’s ebooks and audiobooks.