This Challenge is Hosted at I Am A Reader & Co-hosted at Clean Wholesome Romance.
You can participate a little or as much as you want. Choose just 1 day to join in, participate every day, or come and go as your time allows.
I have way too many books on my to-be-read pile to add here in any kind of coherence, so I’ll tell you about how I organise my TBR list:
I have one basic list on Goodreads that I add every book I want to read. I’m picky about this, because it’s already got over 300 books on it. I know exactly the kind of books I like to read so unless the blurb is good enough or it’s a direct recommendation, it’s not going to find it easy to get on to this list.
I try to whittle this ‘Want to Read’ list down every so often by checking to make sure I still want to read the book, and then finding out when I can get a copy. I made a series on this called Culling the TBR Pile.
I also have several other exclusive shelves that I then shift books from my Want to Read shelf over to, once I have been able to spend some time investigating how easy it will be to get a copy of said book. I do this by first checking if it is available in my local library, then on Kindle, then on a bookshop website.
These exclusive shelves are:
- to buy (for when I have exhausted all easy/cheap options but still want to buy – it’s basically my go-to list if I’m placing an online book order)
- to buy kindle (for when the Kindle version is the cheapest/most easily accessible)
- to listen libby audio (for library audiobooks)
- to read libby ebook (for library ebooks)
- to read library (for library physical copies, which mean I will have to leave my house to borrow)
- to read one day (books I can’t find easily or cheaply enough but still want to read)
- to read own (kinda obvious – books I own that I want to read)
I also have two lists for review books:
- to read review (for when I have asked for a review copy)
- unsolicited (for when a review copy showed up on my doorstep)
I organise the first one, ‘to read review’ generally by release date, unless the book has already been published.
My ‘unsolicited’ shelf doesn’t really get organised, but I pick books off there if I feel like reading them. It’s a way to keep track of if a publisher nesds credit under FTC rules if I do end up reviewing.