Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van LeerBetween the Lines by Jodi Picoult, Samantha van Leer
Narrator: Nick Cordero, Robert Ian MacKenzie, Suzy Myers Jackson
Series: Between the Lines #1
Published by Simon Pulse Simon Schuster
Published on 26 June 2012
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult
Format: Audiobook
Source: my local library
Add to Goodreads
Buy from Amazon | Buy from The Book Depository |Publisher page
RRP: $19.99

Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.A romantic and charming story, this companion novel to Off the Page will make every reader believe in the fantastical power of fairy tales.

Jodi Picoult might be a household name, but this book is about 80% terrible and the remaining 20% that is actually interesting isn’t worth my time.

There’s slut-shaming, girl-hating, and the female main character Delilah has physically assaulted two other girls so far. Yet somehow SHE’S the victim.

And then, when Delilah explains that she broke a cheerleader’s kneecap and that’s why everyone hates her to her new best friend, Jules, who has LITERALLY just moved there and doesn’t know anyone, Jules says something like, “She probably deserved it.” Jules doesn’t know this girl, and just assumes because she’s a cheerleader that she deserves the pain and agony of a broken kneecap, and to have her entire future athletic career ruined because some girl is adorably klutzy? And all the cheerleaders JUST HAPPEN to be boy-crazy and body confident, yet Delilah’s not crazy at all for falling love with a fictional character?

As for the male main character – it’s absolutely remarkable that he’s the only person in the storybook world that doesn’t have a hobby. That’s because he literally has no personality. He’s just a smiley handsome prince obsessed with Delilah. BLAH.

I quit this book at 32% through.


About Nemo

A lover of kittens and all things sparkly, Nemo has a degree in English Literature and specialises in reviewing contemporary, paranormal, mystery/thriller, historical, sci-fi and fantasy Young Adult fiction. She is especially drawn to novels about princesses, strong female friendships, magical powers, and assassins.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,836 other subscribers