It’s been a while since I’ve done a discussion post!
To be honest, I haven’t felt much like I had anything interesting or unique to say, so I haven’t said anything outside of a book review in a long time.
But recently I’ve been thinking about people with the best intentions.
You know, generous people. People who want to share.
… who aren’t in the reviewing sphere.
Book reviewers know the rules. You can make recommendations, but under no circumstances must you thrust a book into someone’s face and demand they read it, even if you love it so much you want to smash your own face into a brick wall every time you think about it.
I have enough books to read.
I run a book review blog. I don’t have time to read your favourite novel.
- I have a toppling TBR pile.
- My ARC review list is as long as my arm.
- I have shelves upon groaning shelves of books I am yet to read.
- I have hundreds of books on my Kindle I haven’t read yet, and the thought of all of them waiting for me gives me palpitations.
- This isn’t even counting all the books I know are in the library waiting for me.
I know, I know: your intentions are pure. You want to share a good book with me.
Buddy, I know good books. I spend more time thinking about books than you think about sex. I literally hunt books down. I aggressively add them to my TBR, and I’ve spent more money on books than you’ve spent on hot dinners in your entire life.
Don’t hand me a book and expect me to read it. If I want to borrow it…