Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want To Read A Book
Keywords in blurb or title:
- Healer (magic)
The three keywords above are my catnip. I love them, and I’m pretty much guaranteed to at least pick up if not buy anything that has those in the title or blurb.
- The downfall of the beautiful popular bitch
- Powerful female leader
- Strong female friendships
- ‘Beauty and the Beast’ romance or at least one where they don’t like each other to start
I love all things Gothic and find the idea of a young virginal girl trapped in a castle with a lecherous older man somewhat thrilling. Replace ‘lecherous older man’ with ‘a prince magically transformed into a Beast’, or ‘a hottie with a mask’; basically paint by numbers, and I’m your girl. Similarly, with contemporary YA, I love strong gal pals and I love seeing the downfall of the popular bitch, especially from her point of view. In my sci-fi, I love powerful female leaders like Clarke from The 100 and Danaerys from Game of Thrones.
- Pretty dress or hooded cloak on cover
- Cover depicts a woman of action