So April sucked balls. My grandad, uncle, and a Goodreads friend of mine all died.
May is looking much better with my husband’s treatment going so well he was even able to return to work part-time. Which means I’m back at work, too! Wow, caring for someone who is suicidal is HARD WORK. But totally worth it when they don’t kill themselves.
In other news, my long-haired cat’s winter coat is coming in. SHE IS SO FLUFFY.
COMING UP NEXT MONTH
I’m launching a new original feature called Buy Borrow Burn, based on the concept of the game Kiss Kill Marry/Snog Marry Avoid. It’ll be fun! It’ll run every second Sunday and starts on the 21st June.
May Wrap Up
So I had a good month! It started off with 5 stars for A Court of Thorns and Roses, which I’m so glad I liked because although I didn’t like Throne of Glass I do think Maas is a terrifically talented writer. And then it continued with the best book I’ve read in a long time, Heather Dixon’s Illusionarium. ALL THE STARS. And then I read ANOTHER 5 star book in Storm Siren. I WAS ON A ROLE, BABY!
- [4 May] A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas ★★★★★
- [14 May] Illusionarium by Heather Dixon ★★★★★
- [18 May] Storm Siren by Mary Weber ★★★★★
- [22 May] Tiny Pretty Things by Dhonielle Clayton, Sona Charaipotra ★★★
- [28 May] Burning for Revenge by John Marsden ★★★★
Other Blog Posts You May Have Missed:
- [2 May] Stacking the Shelves (114)
- [5 May] Book Blitz: Halfway Perfect by Julie Cross and Mark Perini
- [6 May] Waiting on I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (120)
- [8 May] Page to Screen: Will Switching Mediums Help Failed Adaptations?
- [10 May] My Favourite Book Title (28)
- [12 May] Top Ten Authors I REALLY Want To Meet (95)
- [16 May] Stacking the Shelves (115)
- [20 May] Waiting on Immaculate by Katelyn Detweiler (121)
- [21 May] Cover Reveal: Tarnished (Perfected #2) by Kate Jarvik Birch
- [24 May] Everyone Hates It But Me (29)
- [25 May] Page to Screen: Tomorrow When The War Began TV Show In The Works
- [26 May] Top Ten Books I Think Make Great Beach Reads (96)
- [27 May] Book Blitz: Banish by Nicola Marsh
- [30 May] Stacking the Shelves (116)
- [31 May] May Wrap Up
Films/TV I Watched
I didn’t really keep track of what I was watching this month, it was mostly random TV shows like animal documentaries.
- Chris Nolan’s Batman trilogy: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises.
- It’s a Boy/Girl Thing
- Austin Powers in Goldmember
- Jurassic Park 1, 2, and 3.
- Husband and I tried watching Mad Max 1, but it was pretty bad so we turned it off. Then we tried watching Mad Max 2, and it was ALSO pretty bad so we turned it off.
- Finished The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and it was AWESOME.
- More random animal documentaries.
It’s really nerdy but after I finished Illusionarium, I emailed Heather Dixon, the author, to thank her for writing such a wonderful book. I NEVER email authors but I thought it was important that I did it this time, seeing as how when I finished the book I shed a few tears from its sheer beauty. But first I looked for her on Twitter… she’s not on Twitter, but I did find her Facebook page! So I wrote her a quick message saying Happy Birthday and she replied to me! She said I’d made her day by emailing her about Illusionarium.
So basically, I’m trying to do this thing where if I really enjoy a book that’s not mass hyped I will try to reach out to the author to thank them.