I’ve been self-hosted for an entire year! Wow, where has the time gone?
I’ve given self-hosting a lot of thought over the past year. I mostly took up the more expensive hosting with Book Host because my husband and I were both working full-time and could afford the fluctuating exchange rate. Then my husband dropped his hours at work and sometimes now the only spare money I have in a month has to go into keeping this blog afloat.
When I think about it, there really wasn’t anything wrong with non-self hosting. I really liked my theme and the way the old blog looked. Sometimes I’m not sure if I like the way the Moonlight Library looks now.
What I do like about self-hosting, especially with Book Host, is the free plugins like Ultimate Book Blogger that make book blogging easier and more streamlined. There’s also access to all of Creative Whim’s themes, but I can’t seem to decide which one to switch to, if at all.
I worry about when I’ve had enough of self-hosting, or if I can’t afford it for a month, what will happen to my data?
But if I want my blog to last forever, I can’t keep self-hosting it. I’ve seen other self-hosted blogs just go ‘poof’ when their owners tire of blogging or give it up for whatever reason. I’m into my third year of book blogging now and I plan to continue doing it for a while, but I don’t see myself doing it forever. When I do stop I don’t want everything to just disappear. I want to leave a legacy.
Monthly Wrap Up
I read some pretty decent books in November! I also reached 102% ratio on Netgalley. It’s got the extra 2% due to some kind of glitch they can’t fix. Then I ruined it by downloading another review book.
- [6 Nov] Anything to Have You by Paige Harbison ★★★
- [11 Nov] The Leveller by Julia Durango ★★★★
- [16 Nov] Soundless by Richelle Mead ★★★★
- [23 Nov] White Space by Ilsa J. Bick
- [26 Nov] Circle of Flight by John Marsden ★★★
Other Blog Posts You May Have Missed:
- [2 Nov] It’s Not a Competition
- [4 Nov] Waiting on The Golden Braid by Melanie Dickerson (132)
- [8 Nov] Buy Borrow Burn (11)
- [10 Nov] Top Ten Book To Movie Adaptations I’m Looking Forward To
- [12 Nov] Blitz + Giveaway: Dead Ringer by Jessie Rosen
- [14 Nov] Stacking the Shelves (125)
- [18 Nov] Waiting on Inherit the Stars by Tessa Elwood (133)
- [19 Nov] Book Tag: How I Read
- [20 Nov] Toppling the TBR Pile (8)
- [22 Nov] Buy Borrow Burn (12)
- [24 Nov] Top Ten Fictional Families I’d Like to Celebrate Thanksgiving With
- [25 Nov] Book Blitz: The Truth Spell (Werewolf High #1) by Anita Oh
- [27 Nov] Bindi Irwin Is My New Goddess
- [28 Nov] Stacking the Shelves (126)
- [30 Nov] November Wrap Up
Films/TV I Watched
I needed a bunch of really silly stuff to keep my mood up this month.
- The Addams Family
- The Addams Family Values
- Just My Luck
- The Lego Movie
- Pokemon White
- Pokemon Black (basically the same film)
- How To Train Your Dragon 1 & 2
- Are We Done Yet?
- The Nanny (finally finished the binge watch!)
- Garfunkel and Oates
- Supergirl (which is AMAZING!)
I totally didn’t expect to receive Soundless from Penguin Australia, but I did! And on that very same day Pan Macmillan surprised me with Signs Point To Yes!